The Down-Low from H-Mo (Newsletter December 2014)
December make me forget May.
Walk with me in summer mist under power lines
where the loud tui bells out over the valley.
December I dream about you with your harbour
face in your sunshine hands.
Here we go again writing to each other, December.
On the other side of the aisle you lied about your list.
Mine was all porridge and salted fish, yours
was machetes and Christmas ornaments
drilled with holes and filled with salt.
December, in August the Hutt River flooded
but not for long. August went clucking off with a bottle.
In September you walked lightly off the ferry into a drift of soft night rain.
In this yellow square of light above Waiteata
I am a dark bird opening and closing its beak.
It's been a while since I've communicated with you all via this newsletter-type-thing, but I wanted to say thank you for the support you've given me and my writing/music, and not just in 2014. None of us arts folks can do this crazy thing we do without lots of investment of all kinds from our friends, family, fans and funding bodies. I never take it for granted.
Highlights this year?
• Being CNZ/Victoria University writer-in-residence at the International Institute of Modern Letters
• My poem installed in Victoria Street, Christchurch
• My third poetry collection published by VUP
• Addressing the 2014 Māori graduands at Te Hui Whakapūmau, Te Herenga Waka Marae
• Festivals in Brisbane, Christchurch
• My poem 'Burial' published in the NZ edition of 'Best American Poetry'
• I'll be continuing to write the book I've begun during my Vic residency
• I'll be fundraising through 'Boosted' to complete this book - launching my campaign in late January
• I'll be teaching two poetry courses for VUW Continuing Education: Poetry On and Off the Page and Tension and Release in Poetry
Needless to say, there'll be more to come. But for now, ngā mihi mahana ki a koutou katoa mō tēnei wāhanga, arā te mutunga, o te tau e kiia nei ko 2014 - pashes and hugs for the New Year from me and handsomest border collie on earth.
Aroha nui xxx